5 Surprising Things I Learned In My First Trimester





So, guess what everyone: I'm pregnant! I'm so excited to finally announce that! In a few days I will be at 12 weeks, and according to my ultrasounds, everything is going well, and lil Bean's heartbeat is strong. How crazy is that?! I'M GONNA BE A MOM! WOW!



To say this journey has been insane so far would be an understatement. This baby was definitely a (very very very very happy) surprise, and something I've been hoping for for a long time. I thought I had an idea of what pregnancy would be like, but boy, did my pre-pregnancy self have a lot to learn about this journey!

Here are some of the things that I've learned in my first trimester, a lot them things that have shocked my pants off!

1)The. Stress. Is. UNREAL.

Hey, ya know what you shouldn't do? Read every baby book you can get your hands on, and google everything. Ya know when I learned that? When it was too late, and now I KNOW TOO MUCH!

I do find it reassuring to google a symptom and find out that it's completely normal (vagina lightning shocks, anyone?), but researching statistics about birth defects and so on? Not helpful. The way I look at it is, if you google the statistics for ANY disease or health issue, you'll start to freak out unless your odds are, like, 0.00001%. So why should pregnancy be any different? Yes, something could go wrong. Yes, pregnancy and childbirth CAN be dangerous. BUT I also have really good odds of having a complication-free 40 weeks, and a totally healthy baby. Might as well focus on that instead.

2)My Poor, Poor Boobs!

Ya know how during PMS sometimes your breasts will feel like heavy melons full of razor blades? Yeah, that's NOTHING compared to being pregnant. As someone with naturally ginormous boobs, pregnancy has brought the girls to new levels in pain and heaviness. And don't even get me started on what it's like when I get cold. It literally feels like my nipples have been ripped off. I knew that sore breasts were something to watch for if you thought you might be pregnant, but I guess I just assumed it would go away after a week or two? Nahhhh. Apparently I have another 6-ish months of this to look forward to. And then after that, breast-feeding. Folks, I guess it's gonna be awhile before my tatas are pain-free!

(Imagine these melons are saying, "OW! HELP ME!")


3)The Emotions Are Inteeeeense

Have you ever cried happy tears so hard that you start laughing and thank the Lord above you're home alone, otherwise anyone who witnessed that would probably have you committed? Yeah, that's me watching birth videos. The joy is INDESCRIBABLE. "I'M GONNA" - SOB - "HAVE ONE OF" - HICCUP - "THOSE!" - HYENA LAUGHTER. That's me watching YouTube, friends. I pity my cat for having to view these moments.

But it's not just joy, no sir-ee. I've also been so impatient. And so grouchy. But also calm. And sad. And happy. And tired. I'm basically all of the Seven Dwarves, constantly. Pregnant me is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what you're going to get!



4)The Mama Bear Instinct Kicks In REAL Fast

This one I was NOT expecting, and it showed up in a few different ways.

First of all, as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I immediately became second priority. I wouldn't say I'm a selfish person, but I look out for myself, ya know? But when I found out I was going to have a baby, that lil Bean became #1. Ryan and I have been talking about moving to Hamilton because that's where he works, and because he works early morning, he's been staying at his parents' Monday to Friday in nearby Ancaster. Pre-baby, the thought of leaving Toronto made me furious; it just wasn't happening! But as soon as that test was positive, I knew Hamilton made more sense. I wanted my baby to have a nursery! And maybe a yard to play in! And unless we win the lottery, those things wouldn't be a reality in Toronto. And of course, I would need Ryan by my side everyday once the little one arrives. So after the baby arrives, it'll be goodbye, Toronto!

Secondly, I had the craziest dream a few weeks ago. Now, I have to say that I have NEVER dreamt that I've killed or harmed anyone I know in my dreams.  EVER. I've had dreams before where evil monsters were chasing me and in self-defense I had to hurt them. But it's never been someone I know. However, in this aforementioned dream I was driving down a country road with someone I used to party with, and she was driving very dangerously. I told her not to drive like that because I was pregnant. She didn't listen, and long story short . . . I drowned her. I woke up like, " . . . um?" I guess my brain was telling me that I will protect this child at all costs? I don't know, but how weird is that?!

Basically, the lesson here is: don't eff with my Bean! Ha!

5)NOTHING Will Get Done

The reason this blog hasn't been updated in a month is because 1st trimester exhaustion is all-consuming. My house has been a disaster about 75% of the time the last two months, and I have just had to learn to let it go. (Ryan helps when he's home, but that's only on weekends. During the week it's just sleepy me and the cat!)

I'll have spurts of energy where I try to get as much done as possible. Today, for example, I did some dishes, cleaned the floors, and wrote this post. For the most part, though, my butt is planted firmly on my couch or in my bed, and I've watched an exorbitant amount of Netflix. I felt guilty at first, but for my own sanity I started frequently reminding myself that I am growing a freaking human. There are two hearts in my body right now!!! I'm allowed to cut myself some slack.



I have to say, though: MAJOR shoutouts to the pregnant moms who have other kids, or pregnant moms who work 9-5s. Luckily I work flexible part-time hours and only need to take care of the cat, so I feel pretty lucky. I can't imagine dealing with the nausea and exhaustion and sciatica and heartburn and mood swings, etc. while also being responsible for other babies. Y'all are SUPERHEROES!!!

* * * * *


It's very rare that a person's life changes as quickly and intensely as when they get pregnant. The physical and emotional changes are swift and powerful. You can read as many books and blogs as you like, but it's truly something you have to experience to fully understand. Although it isn't always easy, I'm grateful for this crash course, and I'm excited to see what's next!

Keep reading, as I will be writing more about this journey, and feel free to share your pregnancy insights and tips in the comments! Us moms need to stick together and support each other on this crazy journey!

Comments

  1. I've heard the first trimester and the last are pretty tough! Hang in there girly. Love those beautiful lines! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the same! I'm looking forward to the 2nd trimester, though! Should be smooooth sailing!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular on beckashlea.com